Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tim Kawakami is an excellent sports writer cover Bay Area sports, including Oakland Raiders. Here, he recalls a conversation with Al Davis, owner of the Raiders.

It was at the press conference announcing the hiring of Kiffin. Afterwards I was talking to Al, and remarked that I thought it was a strange hire, given that Kiffin was so young and had no head coaching experience. Al didn't like that, and said: 'I'll bet you don't even know who Deng Xiaoping was.' I was like, what? What does that have to do with anything? Al pressed it. 'Who is Deng Xiaoping?' So I thought for a minute, and said, 'Well, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't he the General Secretary of the Chinese government during the Tiananmen Square massacre?' And Al repiles, 'But what can you tell me about him other than that? See? You don't even know anything about your own culture.' I said, 'Al, I'm Japanese-American, not Chinese.' And Al said, 'Ohh, geez. I bet you're going to kill me on that now.' It all happened in front of about 20 reporters, so I didn't have to.
The Korean wonders if Davis was trying to invoke Deng's famous quote, "I don't care if it's a white cat or a black cat. It's a good cat so long as it catches mice." At any rate, poor execution Al, just like your team.

Source: Deadspin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are not available on posts older than 60 days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...